Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Beginning


This past year, I made the decision to get serious about breeding longtail fowl. I spent the better part of the year reading, re-reading, and poring over photographs and forums to learn all I could. I had some silver duckwing Phoenix, and some nicer BBR Phoenix hens at the time, and produced about 25 chicks from these over the late summer/fall. Then, I had the opportunity to purchase a rooster from someone who has been breeding longtails for Onagadori traits for quite a while, Amanda Stewart. The rooster is a recessive white, blue splash silver duckwing that also carries ginger. I put him over my two best BBR hens, and have about 10 chicks in the brooder from them as I write this. Just a week or two ago, I was able to purchase two hens from Amanda, a blue-red and a BBR, which have now been swapped in and the old BBR's removed. I will not be hatching any more eggs over the winter, so will start in spring with this trio.

Pictured are the rooster at a year and a half old, one of the original BBR's, and the blue-red hen from Amanda. The blue-red has the same soft, supple feathering quality as the white rooster.

No comments:

Post a Comment